Day 6
I just had one of the best days ever. After a morning of
classes, we went to Lake Manyara National Park. Everyone was ready half an hour
early and we stood by the trucks waiting. We rode in Toyota Land Cruzers with
tops that could pop up. We could stand in the car as we were driving in the
park. There is nothing like going 40 km per hour down a dusty road with the
wind in your hair watching for animals. We saw baboons, waterbucks, elephants, zebra, wildebeest, giraffes, impala, warthogs, buffalo, birds, and my favorite of the day, dik-diks. They are deer, but are only 1.5 feet tall with large eyes. We also got cut off by a herd of 20+ elephants. They were so close that we could tough them if we wanted (but we were specifically told not to rile up the elephants).
We get to go back tomorrow to study the baboons. But if
there is more time we will be able to see some more animals.
Day 7
This morning we got up and went to Lake Manyara again. We
saw many animals, including a herd of elephants in a stream. We had to spent 2
hours watching baboons, which was no fun at all. I have sitting, watching, and
eating as the things that they did most. But I did get to see some hippos that
we missed yesterday, so that was exciting. Now I have to write three research papers
using the data we supposedly got in the park. We also have to find articles (at
least 15) to include in our papers, and as the internet is temperamental, that
will be interesting.
I also got to play cribbage with some friends, and
apparently it is a Wisconsin thing, because that is where they learned it. I
also have a very strong Wisconsin accent that I am the only one who does not
notice.
Kylie
Wow that sounds amazing! I'm glad you had such a great few days (baboons aside ;) )
ReplyDeleteBring on the Lions!!
ReplyDeleteYour two days of animal watching sound really amazing, Kylie! And remember - you are the only student without an accent and you are speaking normally...everyone else has an accent, eh? They are all just jealous of your fine Wisconsin articulation!
ReplyDelete