Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 9


Day 9

Today we had classes in the morning, but then we had a field lecture in the afternoon. This consisted of going to the community land near Lake Manyara. When we got there, we were told that we could walk to the lake for 10 minutes. So we all started walking. 15 minutes later we were not even near the lake yet. This lake dries up greatly in the dry season, which is we are at the end of right now. As we were walking out, the land got smushy and we would sink a little. It is a salt lake, so all our shoes smell salty.

After we turned around and trekked back to the trucks, we started with the project. It consisted of plotting out a 4x4 meter square in the ground. Then we had to see what feces were in the area. We then moves 60 meters away and did this again. Each group of 5 had a Maasi guide. They helped us identify the droppings. We were in the sun for hours. While everyone else was happy with their tan lines, I was happy to not have burned.

And I found out that the village we visited yesterday, Karatu, was on the Amazing Race last season.

Kylie

1 comment:

  1. Haha. Yay for not burning! And yay for your new coke bottle! And just like 'Melbourne' said it’s not you that has the accent, dontchaknow.

    Work has been boring without you to play "I'm thinking of an animal" with via text message. Gus has been keeping me very busy at home. I'm learning defense techniques because this kitty loves to pounce on me and bite me. (A little fun fact- her favorite time and destination for this activity is 4am and my face.) Mom got Gus a tutu, which I am very excited about...now if only I could get her to feel the same way about it! Hehe. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete