Thursday, October 4, 2012

Days 24 and 25


Days 24 and 25

 We got to go to elephant hill yesterday for a travel lecture. This involved and off-road trip in our Land Cruziers, and then they were parked on a steep angle, so we had to stick rocks under the wheels so they would not go downhill. It is very hard to pay attention for two hours when you are on a hill top surrounded by Africa as far as the eye can see. And we saw a scorpion as we were listening to the lecture.

After that, we went to the Ngorongoro Forest, and were told to explore for a while. The Question of the Day was "Kioko, who pooped here?" yelled by one of the students as they stared at a pile of dung. It turns out it was a white mongoose. We also saw a lion ant hole, and ate some acacia sap.

The power/ internet have been out for 23 hours. The Question of Today is "Who gets the point if the volleyball goes through the net?" Oh the joys of third-hand goods. And, I tripped over a hole and cut my knee. And while I was hiking/following my teacher through a thorn fence to see a bird, some thorns got my calf. But, we got to learn about the Maasi and yesterday’s lecture was called The Social Organization of African Lions. And, my roommate has giardia, a parasite in the water. Fun times.

Oh, and if you watch The Amazing Race Season 20 Episode 8, they are in Ngorongoro, Karatu, Mtu wa Mbu, and Lake Manyara, all locations where I have been.

 Zebra
 Me in TANAPA Tarangire
The lion ant hole we saw.
Kylie

3 comments:

  1. Great stories and beautiful pictures! I love the lone zebra photo, indicating the wind direction with the kicked up dust, and how expertly you kept the horizon level! And that is accentuated by the horizontal lines of the plains (savanna?) in the photo leading to the mountains and the blue sky. The zebra provides an interesting line/stripe contrast, too. You should enter that in a photo contest! I hope your roommate feels better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliments. That is actually Lake Manyara behind the zebra. It is a salt lake that is receded because it is the dry season. The white is all salt.

      Delete
  2. Wow...that is amazing! All of that salt really added texture to your impressive photo. I especially like how the black layers prior to the white salt bed layers in the photo harmonize with the zebra stripes. And you captured the zebra walking in an excellent form. As I said earlier, I also like the white dust stirred up by the zebra. Thank you for the follow-up! We always look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete